Finding Health Care and Insurance on the Road
One of the biggest concerns full-timers have is how they are going to obtain quality health care on the road and how they can get affordable health insurance. We will share information―articles, links and other resources that should help you achieve your health care and insurance goals. If you know of other resources or know an insurance agent or company that works with full-timers please contact us. By working together we can improve health care and insurance for all full-timers!
How do I find health insurance?
Jaimie's three-part article takes you through the steps of researching and choosing health insurance when you are not yet eligible for Medicare.
- Health Insurance Options Part 1 Choosing a state
- Health Insurance Options Part 2 Choosing a policy
- Health Insurance Options Part 3 Reducing medical expenses
Resource: We highly recommend The New Health Insurance Solution: How to Get Cheaper, Better Coverage Without a Traditional Employer Plan by Paul Zane Pilzer. Read the review.
Another resource is articles on health care at SimpleDollar.com. You can check out specific states as well as find the latest about changes in health care laws.
How do I avoid scams?
- Scam alert: Phony health coverage This article is reprinted with permission from the Coalition Against Insurance Fraud. See their Web site for more information.
- Beware of policies purchased through an association. Shaneen Wahl learns the hard way
How can I find lower priced or free drugs and medical services?
- Generic prescritions for $4
- Top 17 ways to cut your prescription drug costs Reprinted with permission from the Cost Containment Research Institute.
- Health care savings and tips
- Medications from Mexico and Canada
Resource: Excellent source for lowering your prescription costs. Read the review of Drugs for Less: The Complete Guide to Free and Discounted Prescription Drugs by Michael P. Cecil, M.D. It includes more than 600 of the most commonly prescribed medications.
What about Canadians?
- Travel medical insurance: Don't leave home without it! Canadian Lynne Benjamin writes about why you need travel medical insurance and how to find it.